Sitemaps are a way to tell Google about pages on your site we might not otherwise discover. Creating and submitting a Sitemap helps make sure that Google knows about all the pages on your site, including URLs that may not be discoverable by Google's normal crawling process.
YWD's 'Google XML Sitemap' tool automatically generates the XML Sitemap file for you, so you can then submit it to Google. And if your website has a mobile-optimized version you can submit a Google XML Sitemap for Mobile as well.
How to submit a Google XML Sitemap file for your website
- Your website must be live and have at least one published page. YWD will only generate the XML Sitemap file about 24 hours after your website goes live.
- In YWD, go to Apps / Google XML Sitemap and can copy the path(s) to the Sitemap file(s) and then submit it(them) to Google. Notice that YWD lets you submit a separate XML SItemap for Mobile. If you have a mobile-optimized website, you should use that option.
- Login to your Google Webmaster Account (if your website has Google Analytics, Google Adsense or Google Search, you can use the same Google account). If you don't have one, you can create one for free on www.google.com/accounts.
- Click the name of your website, navigate to Optimization / Sitemaps and click the ADD/TEST SITEMAP button. Paste the path to the XML file that you copied from YWD. Repeat the process for the XML Sitemap for Mobile file if you have a mobile-optimized website.
- YWD automatically generates the XML files – both for the regular/computer and the mobile version (if you have one) – overnight, whenever there’s any change in your website structure. That will happen only if at least one page is published/re-published/un-published or deleted.
- If you have a mobile-optimized website, you also need to have at least one page defined as mobile-specific (otherwise your Mobile XML Sitemap is identitcal to the regular one, so YWD won't even generate the XML file for it). The path to the mobile XML file will be shown separately from the regular website.