Site verification is a process that enables you to use certain site management tools provided by the search engine, most importantly Google.
Verification doesn't affect your page rank or your site's performance in search results, but gives you access to tools from the search engine that you can use to optimize your traffic.
For instance, in the case of Google, these tools include diagnostics that allow you to improve site traffic, manage other site users so you can also access the tools, remove stilelinks from Google search results and more.
How to verify your website
1. Get the code from the search engine / social network service
Typically, the most important service for you the verify your website with is Google. However YWD also allows you to verify your site with other popular search engines, as well as link your website with your Google+ business page. You can verify your website with any (or all) of the services. The instructions below assume that your website is already live.
- Login to your Google Webmaster Account (if your website has Google Analytics, Google Adsense or Google Search, you can use the same Google account). If you don't have one, you can create one for free on www.google.com/accounts.
- On Google Webmaster Tools click 'Verify this site'.
- In the Verification method list, select 'Meta tag' and copy the part of the Meta tag code provided by Google that is inside content="...".
Google+ (the social network)
- Make sure you have a link from your Google+ Page to your website. Easiest place to do this is in the “Recommended Links” section of your Google+ Page’s “About” tab.
- Paste your Goggle+ Page ID number, which is part of the URL for your Page. For example, the URL for YWDs’s Page is https://plus.google.com/u/0/108719511517860088833/posts so our ID number is 108719511517860088833.
- Create a Bing Webmaster Tool account (Windows Live ID required) or login if you already have one.
- Add your website
- In 'Option 2 (Meta Tag Authentication)' select copy the part of the Meta tag code provided by Bing that is inside content="...".
- Launch Yahoo Site Explorer using your Yahoo account, or create a new one.
- Add your website
- Choose to authenticate your website ownership by adding a Meta tag and copy the part of the Meta tag code provided by Yahoo that is inside content="...".
- Go to your Pinterest page select "Settings".
- Scroll down to "Website". Enter your website URL iinto the filed. Click the "Verify Website" button.
- Click the link "Verify with a meta tag". Copy the part of the Meta tag code provided by Pinterest that is inside content="...".
2. Paste the code(s) and verify the website
In YWD go to Apps / Google, Yahoo, Bing / Verify ownership paste the code(s) obtained above into the appropriate field(s) and save. After you do that, the search engine will be able to verify your ownership to your website (it may take a few days until they do it) so you'll then have access to their site management tools.